08 March 2013

the foot debacle.

source

I just found this floating in my drafts, and why the heck not. I'm posting it.

Everybody has at least one thing that they don't like about themselves physically. For me? My feet. My stupid, clunky, double wide, high in-step, size 11 feet.

They've always been huge. I was a 9 in fourth grade. Some girls I know are always like, "omg, my shoe size is so embarrassing!!! A 9 is enormous!!" Meanwhile I just nod my head and give them a pity-chuckle. If they think their size nines are big, how would they feel in my shoes? (pun intended.)

Unfortunately, you cannot change feet. They can't trim down like other parts of your body. They are what they are. Every time I go shoe shopping, I have to be mentally prepared and know ahead of time that most things won't fit me. I've had to settle for some less-than-cute pairs occasionally.

But you know what? I've done pretty darn good shoe-wise. Yeah, I might have to spend a bit more in order to insure a good fit, but at the same time, the more I spend the better the quality is and the longer they'll last. I'm usually not wearing some bargain shoe from Target or Kmart, and they may not be the "latest thing", but whatever! I like them, I wear them. My latest foray? The men's section. I've found some good (and kind of grungy! Just my type.) alternatives to styles I like. I wanted a pair of Doc Martens soooo bad, but I knew they wouldn't work for me. However, a pair of Doc knockoffs at Kohl's for $28? Yes!

Don't think I don't have my off days. Sometimes I feel like my life would be so much easier if I had little petite feet. However, I like to think of it this way; Uma Thurman wears elevens like me, and she had a sweet closeup in Pulp Fiction because apparently Quentin Tarantino likes big footed ladies. So hey, there's a market for this! I may not land a pair of perfect slouchy boots, but QT will take me!

Long story short - flaunt what you freakin' got. I mean I can't think of anybody who covets large feet, but...got hips? There's somebody out there who would die for them. Embrace what you have. Find somebody who's got what you have and make them your new role model! Uma is my foot lady of choice.

I've spent my whole lifetime with my brows furrowed over whether or not my hooves will hold me back from anything I try to do. But now I mostly draw attention to them with crazy shoes or glittery toe nail polish because I've grown to love them, even if they do drive me crazy sometimes. ;)

Have you got a similar story? Tell me in the comments!

6 comments:

  1. I've been a size 10 in sneakers and an 9 in flats my whole life. I have a huge arch so I never wear heels! It's a battle to find comfy shoes but when I do I am the happiest puppy in the pet shop!! =)

    Ergo-Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I have ventured over from another blog where I saw your button. I'm enjoying this little peek into your world! Just lovely!

    I’m hosting a super duper group giveaway, on my blog. Don’t miss out! And if you’d like to be a co-host on my next giveaway, I would be honored!

    XOXO, Mandi @ All My Happy Endings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I just stumbled upon your blog via Kate's scathingly brilliant :) it's a really nice post! We absolutely all have this thing we hate or get so desperate about sometimes ^_^ I really agree with you about learning to love oneself, with all our flaws and less than perfect parts, it takes time though. Being flat used to be my endless desperation, now I see it more like a Audrey Hepburn kind of femininity - not pretending to be a pretty as she was though - and it's much easier to embrace it, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister wears a size eleven. I don't think it is noticeable though. If you are proportionate then it looks fine. I mean, those feet are on your body for a reason. Plus, I'm looking at that photo of you and Kate and your feet look fine.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an honest post! Glad you have embraced your hooves :) I use to get really down about my height (or lack of) at 5" but I realised I can always wear platforms if I'm having a self-conscious day! Time to embrace every little bit of ourselves. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I think it's high time that we stop being so hard on ourselves. Thanks!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics