05 March 2012

2012 in Film: February


February has been the best in terms of movie-watching, and I watched some good ones!

Total: 10

Saw it in theaters: The Woman in Black. This film has been getting some hate, but to be honest I thought it was very creepy. Daniel Radcliffe's first post-Potter role wasn't too bad! The ending has me feeling a bit ambivalent, however. Still, very atmospheric and eerie.

Netflixed while I was bedridden with a stupid back: Heathers. I've been meaning to see this forever it seems, and while I thought it was going to be a bit more lighthearted, it was still a riot! You could only get away with these things in the 80s, and only if you were Winona Ryder. As crazy as it was, I still loved it.

Watched for class: Metropolis, Bringing Up Baby. We were studying German expressionism, so Metropolis was the obvious choice to watch. I don't think I'd pick a silent out for myself, but I could easily watch this again. And contrary to popular belief, I'd never seen Bringing Up Baby in its entirety! I laughed so hard. It was perfect. We also watched Beau Geste and Un Chien Andalou.

Totally risqué, yet completely perfect: The Dreamers. I had made myself popcorn as a snack and felt like an absolute perv eating it nonchalantly during the first major love scene. Whatever. I think this film may be my favorite out of this month nevertheless. It was unlike anything I've ever seen before. The acting was incredible, and the overall look of it was flawless. If you're not squirmy (ie, everybody is naked all the time) I wholeheartedly recommend it!

Probably have to watch it a second time because I got lost, but - Joseph Gordon-Levitt: Brick. This thing was slang city, which is probably why I should watch it again. Even though this wasn't my usual bag (drugs, violence, MURDER), I overall really liked it. And Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

Others that don't fit in any of the above categories: Rock 'n Roll High School and This is England. The first one was so much fun. I often watch too many "deep" movies, and I always forget that some fluff won't kill me. I noted in my survey that I'd want Riff Randall as my BFF and this still holds true. This is England is too dear to me to write in one blurb, so that's another post for another day!

What have you watched recently?

6 comments:

  1. The Dreamers. I don't even know what to say about that movie. It's been a few years since I saw it, but SO crazy and weird. Maybe I should give it another try, even if it's maybe only to watch Michael Pitt again! I agree about Brick. I enjoyed watching it, but I think I should give it another go. There is so much going on! And Heathers is one I've been meaning to watch for just about forever!

    I'm a little jealous that you're able to watch so many movies in one month. I've been such a bad movie-watcher lately. Being so busy all the time it seems so mu easier to just watch an episode of something on Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, a wide variety of movies! I saw Heather when I was too little to understand her "fake suicide" and can't remember anything else... I must watch it again.
    I LOVE Bringing Up Baby! Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant are amazing at Screwball comedy, their line deliveries. I can never get enough of it. And the tiger, of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heathers is definitely one of my favorite movies <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't like 'The Woman In Black' at all. I tried! But just didn't dig it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely The Woman in Black is my number one in this list.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics